About Me

My photo
I'm a guy who likes to cook, eat, and drink, but not necessarily in that order. This blog is nothing fancy; just my random thoughts about anything that can be baked, roasted, or fried. Enjoy!

Thursday, May 2, 2013

The Most Amazing Brownie Recipe Ever

I wish I could say that this is my recipe, but I can't. This recipe for brownies comes from a friend and fellow attorney here in Birmingham, Laura Robinson. In addition to being a great lawyer, Laura is a great cook too.

Next to the way these beauties taste, the second most amazing thing about these brownies is that Laura developed this recipe herself when she was a teenager! It takes a lot of time and patience and skill to develop a new baking recipe. 


Not only do these brownies taste wonderful, they are incredibly easy to make. I have made these brownies countless times, and neither I nor my guests have ever been disappointed.


LAURA ROBINSON’S BROWNIE RECIPE


Ingredients

3/4 cup of flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup unsalted butter 
2 tablespoons water
1 bag semi sweet chocolate morsels (divided in half— basically, 2 C)
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
1/2 cupped chopped nuts (optional)


Directions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees


Melt butter over low heat.  It should melt but not bubble.  Remove from heat and add sugar and water to pot.  Stir until well combined.  Add half chocolate morsels and stir until smooth.  If chocolate won't melt, add a little more heat, but be careful not to scorch the chocolate.  (Alternative is to do all of above in a double boiler).

In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients.  Add chocolate mixture to dry ingredients and stir.  Add beaten eggs and vanilla.  Stir.  Add rest of chocolate morsels and nuts.  Stir.

Cook in a 8x8 greased metal pan for 35 minutes.  Brownies are done when they do not collapse when top is touched.  You should feel a little resistance without being completely firm.

In some ovens, I have to increase temp to 350 --- takes a little trial and error, but brownies are good even if undercooked, just flat.

Notes

The recipe doubles well.  Sometimes, I add nuts as noted above, but generally, I do not. Laura's mom's favorite variation is with a 1/2 teaspoon of pure orange extract added.

No comments:

Post a Comment